Friday, October 10, 2014

Redeeming Photo Quality

After my heartfelt post yesterday about a photo that means so much to me, I noticed something that really irked me...  The quality of my image had been destroyed upon uploading it to Blogger.  This was a hatred I had previously reserved only for Facebook's photo uploader.  How did it follow me here?  How had I not noticed before?!!  I checked the html code; nothing seemed amiss there, so I did some Google detective work, and after a few articles, I had my, "AHAAA!!!" moment.

Apparently, Google+ is involved in the filtration of photos for Blogger accounts.  It has an "Auto Enhance" feature that is automatically selected unless you go uncheck this abomination.

How to correct the problem:

  • Go to your Google+ home page.  (As long as you're logged in to Google, you should be able to find a link to your account from Google.com, in case you are unfamiliar/don't use it often, like most of us.)
  • Hover over the "Home" button on the top left and select "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
  • Scroll down and find "Photos and Videos." Under this is where you'll find the Auto Enhance option.  Uncheck it, and all will be right in the world again.
The painful part is that you will need to re-upload the photos that were improperly enhanced and swap them out on your blog.  The disclaimer below this option says it is easy to revert enhanced photos, but this must be solely on Google+ as I can't find a way to make it apply the changes automatically to my blog uploads.  

My before and after example is below.  Notice, the color is off, and she has a strange, blue area around her mouth.  No bueno.

Alas, in all of my time using Blogger, this has been my only real hiccup, so I am satisfied to have found a favorable outcome.  Hope this helps you out!  Happy blogging! 






No comments:

Post a Comment