Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Joy of Being Grand

I love photography, but between traveling, school, starting a new business, and building a house, I find myself unable to squeeze in time to go out and take new shots.  Many of my pictures lately are out of function or to capture a simple moment that makes me smile before it passes by.  Often, that means I'm not getting out my fancy-schmancy Canon but, instead, snapping away with my iPhone.  Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't trade my iPhone, but taking the time to get out my gear has a way of making me more thoughtful of what I'm about to photograph, something I'm pretty sure my iPhone will never inspire.  Since I miss my old hobby, I took the time to peruse some of the photos I've taken in the past.  The pictures I love most are the ones that take me back, reflecting the true nature of the people in them.  I don't have many, but maybe that's what makes the ones I have special.  Today, I entered one of those special photos in a photo contest.  One of the companies I've ordered prints from sent out an email about a Fall photo contest, and I knew I had one that would be perfect.  I don't often do things like this, but for once, I swallowed up my fear of failure and went with it.  Is it technically the best photo in the contest?  Not by a long shot...  Will it win the contest?   Probably not...  But, I wanted to let go of the perfectionist in me, and share a moment with others that might make them smile in the same way that I do every time I see it.  The photo in question is one of my dad, holding my great niece.  We were all fancied up for my sister's wedding.  It was a beautiful fall day, and the church where the ceremony was held was on a quaint little street in the old, downtown area of Summerville, GA.  The air was crisp; the leaves were falling, and my little niece, who had just arrived, spotted her grandaddy!  (He is pretty grand... but then again, so is she!)

So here you go...  I titled it, "The Joy of Being Grand."  If you have a moment, please follow the link and give it a vote.  

In case the link doesn't show the picture, here it is :)



I almost forgot...  The company holding the contest is Fracture.  Their specialty is printing photos on glass.  The quality is great, and it's a very sleek, unique style that also preserves and protects your image.  Here's a link: https://www.fractureme.com  
Don't worry, this is an unbiased opinion. I'm not getting paid! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment