Friday, January 24, 2014

Kitchen Update

Thank goodness, some things are finally beginning to come together in the kitchen again.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  There will come a day when I can remove the pots and pans from my guest bed and place them back in the cabinets.  Today is not that day, but it's a start!

The concrete countertops on the two accessory cabinets are essentially done.  They are stained and sealed, only lacking the final shine.  I'm pretty excited about the results.  I will say, however, that there is a bit of a learning curve.  The rate at which the concrete absorbs the stain is something to be marveled.  I chose two colors, golden brown and gray/black.  The plan was to give the counter an all-over coating of the brown and later add accents of gray/black.  The brown went on without a hitch.  The black was slightly scarier.  The initial blob that went down soaked in much darker than I had anticipated.  Since this has been such hard work and the stain is very permanent, I lost a few years off my life when I saw the initial clash.  I quickly wiped it with a damp rag.  Thankful for water-based stain, I watered down my mixture and gave it another go.  Whew!  All is well.  The three coat staining process probably only took one to two hours, and I couldn't be more pleased!

Now, on to the next goals of finishing the bar for the cabinet, pouring the countertop around the sink, and a new tile backsplash.  A girl's work is never done!  (Well, a girl's husband's work is never done.)



No comments:

Post a Comment